Monday, October 7, 2013

Meet Charlotte II, my latest pet. I ran into her web since she lives on the maple tree on our deck behind our bedroom slider.  One of the pieces of her web runs from the edge of the roof to the tree which is a distance of about 6 feet.  How did she do that??  I was so fascinated watching her repair her web that I took a pic of her. Now I check with her regularly to see if I can get a better photo without the PG&E guide wire in the pic. But I haven't caught her out of her resting spot since then.  I showed her to Don this morning and he's a bit concerned that I'm so excited about Charlotte.


5 comments:

elm said...

She is beautiful!

Brenda said...

ah, I found the answer to how Charlotte made her "bridge line" from the tree to the roof. A mere 6' is nothing for many spiders which have even crossed rivers! They spin a super strong filament and let it be carried by a breeze or wind to another spot...hmm are they on the end of it? and then they anchor it and use it to make their web.

suzanne said...

Wow, how big is Charlotte II?

Brenda said...

She's a golden silk orb-weaver, about 1/2" diameter back not including her legs. All of her web is not yellow, but some of it is. She does change her color from bright yellow to a mustard color.

Brenda said...

The juniper brush on the east side of the house is a web spider haven. When there is moisture on the webs in the early morning it looks like a Christmas tree.